Admission in Army Public Schools to children of serving Army personnel coming on transfer from out station can be made anytime during the year and they will not be denied admission, subject, however to the stipulation laid down by the CBSE in Classes IX-XII. Admission of civilian children will not be at the cost of Army children, the latter will never be refused admission. Strength of civilian children will not exceed 10% (inclusive of NRI children) of the overall strength in a class after admitting all Army children and also catering for their mid-session admissions. Civilian children can be admitted only if infrastructure permits and their admission does not adversely affect teacher to pupil ratio, subject to the conditions as elaborated at Article 196, only after ensuring 100% admission of Army children with a few reserved seats for them for mid-session admissions.

Priorities for Admission

The priorities for admission subject to availability of seats will be as under:-

  1. Children of serving Army personnel including DSC (Ex-Army), children of Army widows and children of those TA personnel who have a minimum of 5 years embodied service.
  2. Children of Ex-Army personnel retired/invalided out on medical grounds with pension, DSC personnel retired with pension from DSC.
  3. Children of serving Air Force, Naval and Coast Guard personnel.
  4. Children of retired Air Force, Naval and Coast Guard personnel.
  5. Children of Ex-Army personnel who left Army with less than 10 years of service and not categorized as ESM.
  6. Children of civilians paid out of Defence Estimates, Central Armed Police Forces (CAPF), MES, GREF, TA (when not embodied).
  7. Grand children of serving/retired Army Personnel.
  8. Other children.

The above priorities of admission shall be suitably moderated to bring parity with the priorities of admission offered to wards of Army personnel by other services/organizations in their schools in the same station/location.

If due to acute shortage of classrooms there is difficulty in adjusting all children of serving Army personnel, SAMC may further prioritize children at Article 192 (a) as follows:-

  1. Transfer cases from Army Public School and private recognized schools.
  2. KV Transfer Cases.
  3. Transfer cases from local schools within the city.
  4. All other cases.

In stations where there are two or more schools, a comprehensive policy will be drawn by respective BoA so that load is evenly distributed. It should be based on proximity of the school from residence and availability of seats.


  1. Children under Article 192 (f), (g) and (h) will be considered Civil Children for the purpose of admission.
  2. Children of civilian staff employed in the school will not be counted as civilians for
    this purpose.

Percentages of Civilian Children

The strength of civilian children will normally be at the ceiling of 10% subject to availability of seats. Exceptions can be made under the following circumstances:-

(a) Classes IX to XII. In case seats are under utilized, the percentage of civilian children can be increased upto 15% with the approval of BoA. Any increase of civilian children beyond 15% would require the approval of Chairman, Executive Committee AWES. This increase can be reviewed and withdrawn at a later stage, if situation so warrants.

(b) Other Classes.

  1. There will be no increase in percentage of civilian children.
  2. In stations where adequate number of Army children are not available and it is considered necessary to admit higher percentage of civil children even in primary classes to ensure optimum utilization of school capacity, the overall strength of civil children may be increased to 15% with the prior approval of BoA. Any increase of civilian children beyond 15% would require the approval of Chairman, Executive Committee. This increase can be reviewed and withdrawn at a later stage if situation so warrants.

Note. Admission to wards of serving Army personnel based on transfer certificate from one Army Public School to another will be ensured (on transfer of parents from a station where there is no Army Public School admission will be accorded priority at par with those seeking admission on TC from Army Public Schools). Admission in another APS on transfer certificate for children of other categories is not a matter of right. The same must be explained to such categories at the time of admission and also endorsed on the TC.

Children of Foreign Nationals/NRIs in Army Public Schools. Foreign/NRI children are allowed to be admitted in all Army Public Schools. It will, however be ensured by the School that all formalities like checking of Visa, Passport and guarantee of character and conduct by two respectable Indian citizens etc. are completed before granting admission to such children and the sanction of the Chairman is taken in each case. Clarification, if required, may be obtained from HQ AWES.

Admission Procedures and Evaluation Test upto Class X

Admission. All children of serving/retired Army personnel coming on Pass/promoted TC from another Army Public School any time during the academic year will be admitted based on Transfer Certificate (TC) from previous school, without an admission test.

Evaluation Test. An evaluation test may be held to assess the academic standard of the applicant only if the candidate is arriving from a school other than an APS. If the applicant is not of suitable standard, the parents may be advised accordingly.

Subjects for Evaluation Test. The evaluation test (when held for admission of TC Cases other than from another APS) will cover the following subjects:-

Level Subjects
Primary Classes (II to V) English, Hindi and Maths.
Middle Classes (VI to VIII) English, Hindi, Mathematics and Science.
Secondary Classes (IX to X) English, Hindi, Mathematics and Science.
Senior Sec. Classes (XI to XII) English, Hindi and Elective Subjects.

No written test will be conducted for students seeking admission in Class I.

Note. For Students coming on TC from other than APS, an assurance of removing language deficiency within a year shall be given in writing by the parents or guardians of the pupils, if admitted.

Admission With/Without Transfer Certificate

Direct admission i.e. admission without a transfer certificate shall be made only up to Class VI in the case of wards of Army personnel. If a pupil, who has not previously attended any recognised school, applies for admission to any one of the Classes II to VI, his/her parent or guardian shall be required to give full history of his/her previous education and submit an affidavit to the effect that his/her ward has not attended any recognised school till then. He/she shall also be required to submit an affidavit regarding the exact date of birth of his/her ward. If a seat is available in the class to which admission is sought, the head of the school shall arrange a special test to determine the suitability of the pupil for admission to the class. Admission shall be granted if the pupil passes in the special test. If the parent or guardian’s statement under this clause is found to contain any willful misrepresentation of date of birth or other facts regarding the pupil’s educational career, the head of the school shall cancel the admission and report the matter to the Education authorities of the district for circulation of the information to other schools. The name of the pupil will be struck off the roll of the school.

A pupil coming from a recognised school or a Kendriya Vidyalaya or Army Public School, shall not be admitted to a class higher than the one in which he/she was studying at his former school except in the case of those who have successfully passed the annual examination and have been promoted to a higher class.

A pupil who fails once at the annual examination (Classes IX-XII) may be admitted to the same class in the next session of the same or of any other Army Public School.

A pupil who fails in the Board’s final examination in Classes X and XII shall be re-admitted in the same class as a regular student.


Age Limit. Where state rules are not being enforced, the age of a student on first admission to various classes in Army Public Schools shall be regulated as indicated below:

For Admission to Class The student should have completed the under-mentioned years of age on 31 March of the year in which admission is sought
I 5 Years
II 6 Years
III 7 Years
IV 8 Years
V 9 Years
VI 10 Years
VII 11 Years
VIII 12 Years
IX 12 Years
X 13 Years


  1. The table above shall not be applicable if a student arrives on transfer from a CBSE recognized school with an age not matching the ages given above.
  2. For Differently Abled Children. For admission to Class I the maximum age limit as on 31 Mar would be 7 years which can further be relaxed by the Principal. Age for all other classes will be calculated accordingly.
  3. For the purpose of this clause it is clarified that those born on 01 Apr of the year shall be considered to have completed the age on 31 Mar of the same year.

Proof of Age. Birth certificate issued by the Registrar of Births and Deaths as authorized by the State Govt./Govt. of India.

Change in Date of Birth. Date of Birth once recorded in the school register will not be changed by any authority in the school on their own. Request of change of Date of Birth from parents will be processed as per procedure laid down in CBSE Bye Laws.


Admission to Class XI. Students passing Class X board exams from the same schools are automatically on the strength of Class XI. They shall be allotted streams as per their choice and the table given below. The minimum percentages/grades for allocation of different streams in Class XI are given below. Meeting the eligibility criteria on account of minimum percentages does not, however, guarantee admission. Admission will depend on relative merit and availability of seats. No special weightage will be given for any stream to any student. Any variations to this may be carried out with the approval of Chairman BoA.

Stream Minimum Cut-off Percentages
Science Maths English
Science with Maths 71 71 51
Science without Maths 71 61 51
Commerce with Maths 71 51
Commerce without Maths 51 51
Humanities No restriction


  1. For allotment of streams the overall result will be considered.
  2. The CBSE policy on Maths and Basic Maths shall also be taken into account while allocating streams.
  3. In case of transfer after completion of XI for admission to Class XII, no change of subject/stream will be permitted as per CBSE Examination Bye Laws. This would also be applicable to the promotion to Class XII in the same school.
  4. For giving same stream on transfer certificate, proof of posting of the parent/allotment of separated family accommodation/permission for hired married accommodation by the station HQ would be required.
  5. For fresh admission to Class XI, in the case of non APS transfer cases percentages of marks for various streams given above may be increased by 10% for categories laid down in Article 192 (d) to (h).
  6. Restriction in Class Strength. Strength of students in classes shall ideally not exceed 40 students. Any increase beyond this may be considered in the light of CBSE restrictions imposed and express permissions to this effect from authorities concerned.
  7. It is clarified that meeting the eligibility criteria on account of minimum cut-off percentages does not guarantee admission. Admission will depend upon relative merit and availability of seats.
  8. Provisional admission to Class XI on transfer certificate between April to June will be granted to the wards of Army personnel coming from other Schools. Tentative stream will be allotted and the students permitted to continue till the declaration of result. On declaration of result, firm allotment of stream will be made as per laid down rules. Such students will pay fees of the tentative stream and the adjustment in fees will be made on final allotment of stream. This is also applicable to the students who pass Class X and seek admission in Class XI in the same school.

TC from Other Schools. TCs in respect of candidates from schools other than Army Public Schools/KVs will be accepted for admission provided these are endorsed by the District Education Officer of the District in which the school is located or it is uploaded on the website of the school.